Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Casualty

The first major casualty of the trip occurred just south of S.F. on a nice descent into Pacifica. After two days off I was a bit careless with securely attaching everything to my bike. I’m going 30 mph down a hill when a stuff sack containing stove and fuel bottle fall from the bike and skid into the road. I slam on my brakes and attempt to run back up the road. Three or four cars negotiate past it successfully but as I get close some dude nails it. It was bleeding fuel as I approached. Very sad...

Upon further inspection, its been deemed "out of order". I bent the stove back into shape but the pump has lost some vitals and leaks. So, I cooked on either a fire or a $2 sterno can for a couple days before putting together the famous soda can alcohol stove.

Blurry photo, but the pieces fit together quite snug and it works pretty well. A little alcohol in the middle and after warming up it blazes out of the little holes along the edge like a gas burner. I’m on the lookout for some big Foster’s cans for the next edition…

1 comment:

Eric John Scheidel said...

Nice camp stove MacGyver! Great camp sites, I'm jealous. See you Tuesday.